John E. Speich, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Associate Chair, Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering
Phone: (804) 827-7036
Fax: (804) 827-7030
Virginia Commonwealth University
School of Engineering
Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering
East Hall, Room E3254
401 West Main Street
P.O. Box 843015
Richmond, Virginia 23284-3015
- B.S., mechanical engineering, Tennessee Technological University, 1995
- M.S., mechanical engineering, Vanderbilt University, 1997
- Ph.D., mechanical engineering, Vanderbilt University, 2001
Awards and honors
- Edwin Beer Fellowship in Urology and Urology-Related Fields, New York Academy of Medicine, 2008
- Outstanding Volunteer Award, NASA VCU Regional FIRST Robotics Competition, 2008
- Adviser for the “Best in Class” Mechanical Engineering senior design project, 2005-06
- NASA Graduate Student Research Program Fellowship, Vanderbilt University, 1998-2001
- Smooth muscle biomechanics
- Developing robotic devices for medical applications: rehabilitation, surgery and devices to aid persons with disabilities
- Bladder biomechanics and urodynamics
- Telemanipulation systems and haptic interfaces
- Engineering education
- Dynamics and kinematics
- Mechanics of deformables
- Mechanical systems design
- Process and system dynamics
- Robotic manipulators
- Poley, R., Dosier, C., Speich, J., Miner, A. and Ratz P. (2008) “Stimulated calcium entry and constitutive RhoA kinase activity cause stretch-induced detrusor contraction,” European Journal of Pharmacology, 599(1-3), pp. 137-145.
- Shan, Y., Speich, J. and Leang, K. (2008) “Low-Cost Reflective Infrared Sensors for Sub-Micro-Level Position Measurement and Control,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 13(6), pp. 700-709.
- Speich, J., Dosier, C., Quintero, K., Borgsmiller, L., Koo, H. and Ratz, P. (2007) “Adjustable Passive and Length-Tension Curve Rabbit Detrusor Smooth Muscle,” Journal of Applied Physiology, 102(5), pp.1746-1755. See invited editorial about this article: Ford, LE. and Gilbert, SH. (2007) “The significance of variable passive compliance in smooth muscle,” Journal of Applied Physiology, 102(5), pp 1735-1736.
- Speich, J., Quintero, K., Dosier, C., Borgsmiller, L., Koo, H. and Ratz, P. (2006) “A Mechanical Model for Adjustable Passive Stiffness in Rabbit Detrusor,” Journal of Applied Physiology, 101(4), pp. 1189-1198.
- Call, C., Han, S., Speich, J., Eddinger, T. and Ratz, P. (2006) “Resistance to Pressure-Induced Dilatation in Femoral But Not Saphenous Artery: Physiological Role of Latch” American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 291(4), pp. H1513-H1520.
- Han, S., Speich, J., Eddinger, T., Berg, K., Miner, A., Call, C. and Ratz, P. (2006) “Evidence for Absence of Latchbridge Formation in Muscular Saphenous Arteries,” American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 291(1), pp. H138-H146.
- McLeskey, J., Speich, J., Richardson, J. and Gad-el-Hak, M. (2006) “Evaluation of an Experiential Engineering Library,” International Journal of Engineering Education, 22(2), pp. 247-256.
- Speich, J., Borgsmiller, L., Call, C., Mohr, R., and Ratz, P. (2005) “ROK-Induced Crosslink Formation Stiffens Passive Muscle: Reversible Strain-Induced Stress Softening in Rabbit Detrusor,” American Journal of Physiology: Cell Physiology, 289, pp. C12-C21.
- Speich, J., Shao, L. and Goldfarb M. (2005) “Modeling the Human Hand as it Interacts with a Telemanipulation System,” Mechatronics, 15(9), pp. 1127-1142.
- Speich, J., Cagle, Y., Rafiq, A., Merrell, R., Doarn C. and Broderick, T. (2005) “Evaluation of Surgical Skills in Microgravity Using Force Sensing,” Medical Engineering and Physics, 27(8), pp. 687-693.
- Speich, J. and Goldfarb, M. (2005) “An Implementation of Loop-Shaping Compensation for Multi-Degree-of-Freedom Macro-Micro Scaled Telemanipulation,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 13(3), pp. 459-464.
- Speich, J. and Rosen, J. (2004) “Medical Robotics,” Encyclopedia of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, G. Wnek and G. Bowlin, eds., Marcel Dekker, New York, pp. 983-993.
- Panait, L., Broderick, T., Rafiq, A., Speich, J., Doarn, C.R., and Merrell, R.C. (2004) “Measurement of Laparoscopic Skills in Microgravity Anticipates the Space Surgeon,” American Journal of Surgery, 188(5), pp. 549-552.
- Speich, J., McLeskey, J., Richardson, J. and Gad-el-Hak, M. (2004) “The Experiential Engineering Library,” International Journal of Engineering Education, 20(4), pp. 1022-1033.
- Fite, K., Speich, J. and Goldfarb, M. (2001) “Transparency and Stability in Two-Channel Bilateral Telemanipulation,” ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, 123(3), pp. 400-407. J. and Goldfarb, M. (2000) “A Compliant-Mechanism-Based Three Degree-of-Freedom Manipulator for Small-Scale Manipulation,” Robotica, 18(1), pp. 95-104.
- Goldfarb, M. and Speich, J. (1999) “A Well-Behaved Revolute Flexure Joint for Compliant Mechanism Design,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, 121(3), pp. 424-429.