Karla M. Mossi, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Graduate Program Director, Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering
Phone: (804) 827-5275
Fax: (804) 827-7030
Virginia Commonwealth University
School of Engineering
Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering
East Hall, Room E3268
401 West Main Street
P.O. Box 843015
Richmond, Virginia 23284-3067
- B.S., mechanical engineering, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Honduras, Honduras, 1988
- M.S., mechanical engineering, Old Dominion University, 1992
- Ph.D., mechanical engineering, Old Dominion University, 1998
Awards and honors
- Student Section Advisor Award for District F, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2007
- Parents’ Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, VCU, School of Engineering, May 2007
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award for Laboratory Instruction, Old Dominion University, 1995-96
- Special Doctoral Award, spring 1996
- Certificate of Appreciation (Academy Graduate Assistant), CHROME, 1996 Young Ph.D.s in Aeronautics, March 30, 1996
- Graduate teaching assistantship, summer 1996, fall 1995, summer 1995
- Certificate of Appreciation, I. C. Norcom High School, Science Fair, March 1995, March 1994
- Certificate of Excellence, CHROME, 1994 Young Ph.D.s Program, November 1994
Dr. Mossi’s research centers on electrical and mechanical characterization of smart materials and their applications in aerospace, automotive, medical and electrical fields. This multidisciplinary field involves materials and their response to different environments and the variation of their properties under different temperatures and boundary conditions (fluid mechanics, controls, equivalent circuits, mechanic of materials, etc.)
- Engineering statics
- Dynamics and kinematics
- Mechanics of deformables
- Fluid mechanics
- Sensors and measurements
- Mane, P., Xie, J., Mossi, K., Leang, K. (2010) “Cyclic Energy Harvesting from Pyroelectric Materials.” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, in press.
- Mane, P., Richeson, M., Mossi, K. (2010) “Energy Harvesting from Synthetic Jet Actuators.” Smart Materials Journal, submitted.
- Xie, J., Mane, P., Green, C., Mossi, K., Leang, K. (2010) “Performance of Thin Piezoelectric Materials for Pyroelectric Energy Harvesting.” Journal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures, 21(3), 423-429.
- Mane, P., Mossi, K., Green, C. (2009) “Optimizing Energy Harvesting Parameters using Response Surface Methodology.” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, 56(3), 429-436.
- Mane, P., Mossi, K., Bryant, R. (2008). “Piezoelectric Synthetic Jets in Quiescent Air: Experimental Design and Analysis.” Smart Materials and Structures, 17(1), (12pp).