Karla M. Mossi, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Graduate Program Director, Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering
Phone: (804) 827-5275
Fax: (804) 827-7030
Virginia Commonwealth University
School of Engineering
Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering
East Hall, Room E3268
401 West Main Street
P.O. Box 843015
Richmond, Virginia 23284-3067
- B.S., mechanical engineering, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Honduras, Honduras, 1988
- M.S., mechanical engineering, Old Dominion University, 1992
- Ph.D., mechanical engineering, Old Dominion University, 1998
Awards and honors
- Student Section Advisor Award for District F, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2007
- Parents’ Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, VCU, School of Engineering, May 2007
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award for Laboratory Instruction, Old Dominion University, 1995-96
- Special Doctoral Award, spring 1996
- Certificate of Appreciation (Academy Graduate Assistant), CHROME, 1996 Young Ph.D.s in Aeronautics, March 30, 1996
- Graduate teaching assistantship, summer 1996, fall 1995, summer 1995
- Certificate of Appreciation, I. C. Norcom High School, Science Fair, March 1995, March 1994
- Certificate of Excellence, CHROME, 1994 Young Ph.D.s Program, November 1994
- Energy harvesting
- Smart materials
- Fluid mechanics
- Engineering statics
- Dynamics and kinematics
- Mechanics of deformables
- Fluid mechanics
- Sensors and measurements
- Mane, P., Xie, J., Mossi, K., Leang, K. (2010) “Cyclic Energy Harvesting from Pyroelectric Materials.” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, in press.
- Mane, P., Richeson, M., Mossi, K. (2010) “Energy Harvesting from Synthetic Jet Actuators.” Smart Materials Journal, submitted.
- Xie, J., Mane, P., Green, C., Mossi, K., Leang, K. (2010) “Performance of Thin Piezoelectric Materials for Pyroelectric Energy Harvesting.” Journal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures, 21(3), 423-429.
- Mane, P., Mossi, K., Green, C. (2009) “Optimizing Energy Harvesting Parameters using Response Surface Methodology.” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, 56(3), 429-436.
- Mane, P., Mossi, K., Bryant, R. (2008). “Piezoelectric Synthetic Jets in Quiescent Air: Experimental Design and Analysis.” Smart Materials and Structures, 17(1), (12pp).